Banana and White Chocolate Muffins






In the last couple of months I've been quietly reminding myself get into the swing of blogging things. This undoubtedly has proven to be a bigger task that I thought it would be. The space between posts is somewhat sad and it serves as a reminder of what weekends were like - early starts to churn out dish after dish, which were then whisked out onto the porch to be photographed to its glory. I've been trying to emulate that feeling on more than one occasion but failed miserably. I've lost my touch.

Not one to be defeated, I woke up this weekend, gung-ho - adamant that I am going to get over this plateau and make a proper comeback. Not some weepy, half-assed attempt I've made in the past. So with the determination of a warrior, I cooked lunch for the family -  chicken curry, chicken in soy sauce and cabbage with mustard seeds and egg.


Despite that sounding like a lot of food, I had one more recipe up my sleeve. You see, earlier in the morning, I woke up from a lovely weekend slumber, with a deep longing for a warm banana and white chocolate muffin. Not quite sure where the craving has come from seeing that I am on a strict diet and exercise regiment but  who am I to resist a muffin urge. So off to the kitchen I go, and well, well, what do I find? Overly ripe bananas, to the point of mush, which required immediate use. 15 minutes later and 10 large muffin liners were filled and ready for the oven.

The result was pretty amazing. Light, fluffy, sweet and healthy(?) muffins ready to be devoured!

Banana and White Chocolate Muffins

Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking 

Makes 10 large muffins

Ingredients

225g all purpose flour
100g caster sugar
55g brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
120g white chocolate, chopped up into chunks
450g ripe bananas, mashed
113g melted butter, cooled
2 large eggs, lighten beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method 
  1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line pan with 10 muffin liners.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt and white chocolate chunks.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
  4. With a spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined and batter is thick and chunky. 
  5. It is very important not to overmix muffin batter as it will yeild dense, rubbery muffins. 
  6. Fill the 3/4 of the lined tins with batter and bake for 25 minutes or until skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
  7. Remove from oven and transfer muffins onto a wire rack to cool.
  8. Best served warm or at room temperature.