Wasabi Popcorn



Wasabi popcorn!
On the ground floor of the building in which I work in, there is this wondrous grocery store which sells the most interesting food items from all around the world. This is where I can be found when the publishing world gets a bit too hectic. Wondering the aisle, reading labels and purchasing a whole lot of random items has become my guilty pleasure.
So when I stumbled upon this delightful tin of Wasabi Powder, I purchased  it on a whim without giving much thought to what I would actually use it for. I kept going back to the idea of making Wasabi popcorn and lo and behold that is what I made.
Making the wasabi paste itself was an interesting one! Apparently to create a paste with a strong hit, it is essential to turn the bowl, in which the paste has been mixed in, upside down! I'm guessing some sort of law of physics or chemistry applies here!


The paste is then mixed with melted butter and poured over freshly popped corn. This turned out to be a nice change from the usual sweet stuff  and  is pretty addictive. The wasabi flavour itself isn't too strong which is nice for me as I usually am  in agony from consuming too much wasabi in one go!


Also has anyone watched  the trailer for Despicable Me 2? I can't get enough of it and it's been on constant replay today!! It's sooo incredibly cute and  makes me laugh every time! Can't wait for the movie to be released :D

Finally, does anybody have any idea what I can do with the rest of this tin of wasabi powder?!


Wasabi Popcorn

Ingredients

3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernals
3 tbsp melted butter
3 tsp wasabi paste 
Salt

Method
  1. In a large pot, heat oil on a medium heat. Add 3-4 kernals to the pot and cover.
  2. When the kernals start to pop, remove pot from heat for 30 seconds, then put it back on the heat. This allows the heat to even out.
  3. Add the remaining kernels and cover. However if possible leave the lid slightly open to allow moisture to escape leaving the popcorn crunchier. Leave to pop.
  4. In the meantime, mix the melted butter with the wasabi paste.
  5. Once the popping slows down, seconds between pops, remove from heat and transfer the popcorn to a big bowl.
  6. Drizzle the wasabi butter all over the popcorn and toss.
  7. Finish the popcorn off with a sprinkling of salt.