Tomato and Basil Bruschetta

Tomato and basil bruschetta
So my ankle is still giving me trouble and is refusing to heal, which means that I have been deprived of any form of exercise for the past two and a half weeks, and this is driving me mad! I'm feeling unfit and flabby and I am really starting to miss running.

The fear of piling on the pounds has left me monitoring my food intake somewhat religiously, and it's something I don't particularly enjoy. I mean, do calories even mean anything when faced with a slice of luscious cheese pizza? Normally I would say no, but right now, my brain is telling me YES YES YES!! Calories mean everything!

And so I push aside the thoughts of a delicious pizza and instead indulge in this tomato and basil bruschetta on a slice of homemade ciabatta. It's simple to throw together, delicious as these classic flavours compliment each other wonderfully and above all healthy!

And really, it tastes almost as good as pizza!

Tomato Bruschetta

Serves 2-4

Ingredients

1 large tomato, de-seeded and chopped
Handful of basil leaves, torn
3 garlic cloves, diced finely
A healthy glug of olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Method 
  1. Mix all ingredients in a big bowl and mix well. Check for seasoning.
  2. Grill or toast a slice of ciabatta, or any crusty bread of your preference. 
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and top with tomato mix.