Mochaccino Cupcakes


Mochaccino Cupcakes - Just look at that beauty!
I’ll start off by saying, if there is one thing you need to make this weekend, this has to be it! Mochaccino Cupcakes. Two words and one bite that will blow your mind. I was going to say it will change your life, but that’s a bit dramatic.. or maybe not. Because these cupcakes are seriously delicious! Magnificently moist and incredibly moreish. Each cupcake has a perfect balance of cake, coffee and chocolate! The triple C-threat! So have I got your attention yet? 

This love story started with my impulse purchase of espresso coated espresso beans. I scoffed some straightaway but then realised how cute these beans would look on top of a cupcake. After some serious researching and recipe surfing, I found this recipe.

For the cake, I slightly adapted Brown Eyed Baker’s recipe; I omitted the espresso and instead upped the amount of coffee powder. For the frosting, I used my standard buttercream recipe as the base, but added coffee and melted chocolate. Finally, leftover melted chocolate was drizzled over the top of the frosting and decorated with an espresso coated espresso bean.

The girls at work loved it, my mum loved it, and I needless to say loved it. Honestly this might be my favourite cupcake recipe to date, sorry Green Tea cupcakes, you’ve been pipped to the post. 
Mochaccino Cupcakes

Makes 12 cupcakes

Cupcake recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker and My Baking Addiction

Ingredients

Cupcakes

1½ cup / 192 g flour
⅓ cup / 43 g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup / 120 ml milk
½ cup / 120 ml strong coffee, (I used 3 tbsp coffee + enough water to get 120 ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup / 113 g butter, room temperature
½ cup / 100 g sugar
½ cup / 110 g brown sugar
1 egg

Icing

200 g butter, softened
200 g icing sugar
2 -3 tsp coffee powder mixed with 1 tbsp water
50 g plain chocolate, melted

Decoration

20 g melted chocolate, for drizzle
Coffee beans

Method

  1. Mix coffee with water and leave to cool.
  2. In a glass, combine milk, coffee and vanilla in a glass.
  3. In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl, cream both sugar and butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and mix until incorporated well.
  5. Finally add flour mix and coffee mix to the creamed butter alternatively.
  6. Fill lined cupcake tin and bake in pre-heated oven at 180°C for 18-20 minutes.
  7. Leave to cool.
  8. To make the icing, beat butter until it turns a pale yellow. Add icing sugar, a little at a time. Finally add the coffee and melted chocolate. 
  9. Pipe icing according to desired pattern and drizzle melted chocolate over it.
  10. Top with coffee bean.