Daring Bakers' March 2012 - Tiger Bread

 Beautiful tiger patterns!
Another month passes us by which means it’s time for another Daring Baker’s challenge to be revealed! Sara and Erica of Baking JDs were our March 2012 Daring Baker hostesses! Sara & Erica challenged us to make Dutch Crunch bread, a delicious sandwich bread with a unique, crunchy topping. Sara and Erica also challenged us to create a one of a kind sandwich with our bread!
 Tiger rolls
Only after looking at the photos provided by Sara and Erica did I realise that Dutch Crunch bread was another name for the infamous Tiger Bread that hit the bread aisle a few years ago! It’s become a firm favourite of mine ever since Gavin introduced it to me, not so much because of the deliciousness of the bread but more because of the pretty crust patterns!

This loaf didn't have the height I was looking for but was still delicious! Nothing quite like eating bread fresh from the oven, with lots and lots of butter!
Finding out that it was our challenge to replicate this gorgeous loaf got me excited as this bread hasn’t quite hit the Malaysian shores yet and I haven’t had my Tiger Loaf fix in months!. Sourcing for rice flour in Malaysia is hardly a problem with all ingredients at hand I set about to making my first Tiger bread!

In the recipe provided, we had the choice of making rolls or a loaf. Having never made rolls before, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try my hand at making some. And having made some now, I am officially addicted! These rolls were perfect, soft and fluffy yet substantial enough (with filling) as main meal. Take note, this recipe is definitely a keeper!

The Dutch Crunch was a lovely addition but I don’t think I have properly mastered it yet. Firstly I added too much water to the topping mix which resulted in a very watery coating which spread all over the sides of the rolls. Secondly I also noticed that resting the Dutch Crunch topping resulted in a very powdery coating which left a funny taste in my mouth. I’ve tested it out and it seems that using the topping straight away prevents the powdery texture and taste from forming.  I’m not sure if it’s something only I have come across but I would love to hear what you think!

Bread making process; notice how watery the topping was! Silly me!
For my second attempt, I made a loaf. It turned out to a mighty big one and this time it seems like I may have made the topping too thick and heavy as it weighed down the loaf during the baking process. Nevertheless it was delicious. 

Also I never got around to photographing the second part of the challenge where we were meant to create a one of a kind sandwich with our bread. The remainder of the loaf was used in a bread pudding which was delicious!

Tiger Bread

Makes 6 rolls or 1 large loaf

Ingredients

Soft White Rolls

1 tbsp active dried yeast

½ cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1½ tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1½ tsp salt
Up to 4 cups of plain flour

Topping

1 tbsp active dried yeast
½ cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp salt
1½ cup rice flour (If using homemade rice flour, increase the quantity by half a cup)

Method


Soft White Rolls
  1. In a large bowl, combine yeast, water, milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve and leave to sit for 5 minutes until it starts becoming foamy.
  2. Add the vegetable oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Using a dough hook attachment or a wooden spoon, mix at a medium speed until the dough comes together.
  3. Add remaining flour, a quarter cup at a time until dough starts pulling away from the sides. Usually takes about 1½ to 2 cups of flour to get to this point.
  4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes until smooth and elastic.
  5. Place in a lightly greased bowl and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
  6. Once dough has risen, turn out on to lightly floured surface and divide into six portions, if making rolls.
  7. Shape and place on a tray lined with baking parchment. The least amount of handling of the dough at this point, the better.
  8. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for a further 15 minutes.
  9. Prepare topping and coat the rolls with a healthy amount. Place baking tray in pre-heated oven immediately.
  10. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 190°C, until the tops crack and turn a nice golden brown colour.
Topping  
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat hard with a whisk until combined. The consistency should be like royal icing but not too watery. If too watery, add more flour, and if it's too thick, add some water.
  2. The recipe says to leave the topping to stand for 15 minutes, but I found that it produces a very powdery texture.
  3. Coat rolls/loaf with a thick layer of topping. Using the back of a spoon works well. *A thin layer of topping won't provide the desired tiger effect.