Baba ganoush




I've had this recipe stored in my drafts since November and seeing that my gammy leg hasn't quite recovered, which has resulted in lots of resting, (which is getting VERY dull!) it only makes sense to take this opportunity to clear the backlog of recipes that seem to be adding up!

Moving on, . Aubergines are the love - I'm not sure if many of you would agree but I adore the colour, texture and taste!

The first time I tasted baba ganoush was years ago and I was hooked. So when the craving hit, I found myself  scouring the Interweb looking for the perfect recipe to emulate this delicious dip. I think I struck gold when I landed on David Lebovitz's site.
Just reading through the list of ingredients got me drooling; coriander, lemon juice, smoked aubergine, garlic. Yummy – all my favourite ingredients in one dish!

This recipe is perfect for those looking for something that is easy to put together, healthy and benefits from being kept in the refrigerator, as the flavour improves tremendously over the days. It also keeps up to 5 days. Plus this is a vege friendly recipe – so the next time you’re vegetarian friends pop around and you are at a loss on what to make, this is your solution. Easy, delicious and so healthy! 

Baba ganoush

Serves 8

Ingredients

3 medium sized aubergines
½ cup tahini  
1¼ tsp coarse salt
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
⅛ tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp olive oil
Half bunch of coriander leaves, picked

Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 190C. 
  2. Prick each eggplant with a fork then char the skin by using a blow-torch or placing it over an open fire on the hob. Ensure that the skin is evenly charred all around. If you have neither, jump to step 3.
  3. Next place the eggplant in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes until eggplants are very soft.
  4. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
  5. Split the eggplant and remove the flesh by scraping it with a spoon.
  6. Process flesh with all the other ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
  7. Season if necessary with more salt and lemon juice.
  8. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. 
  9. Serve with crudités, strips of pita bread or chunks of crusty bread.