Simple Broccoli Soup



 Vibrant green fresh soup                           
We’re currently enjoying a 4 day weekend. I know right, 4 day weekend! What does one do with so much time off?  Catch up on sleep, cook vast amounts of food and consume all that’s been cooked of course.

This extended weekend has been nothing short of glorious – relaxing and quiet, almost zen like.

Friday night was spent in the company of my best friends whom I haven’t seen since early December. We had a lovely dinner and a few drinks after which they surprised me with a belated birthday cake!  They totally caught me off-guard seeing that my birthday was about 1.5 months ago but nevertheless it was a really nice gesture! <3
The rest of the weekend was spent lounging around catching up on the latest episodes of my favourite series and reading. I think the laziness is rather contagious as even the parents kept suggesting we eat out in all attempts to avoid cooking! 3 days of eating out has taken its toll on me both weight wise and palate wise and today I woke up craving a simple meal. Not too many robust flavours, something light yet hearty. 
 A few simple ingredients creates a beautiful vibrant soup
This soup definitely ticks all the boxes. Requiring a small number of ingredients one generally has in the kitchen, not only is it quick and easy to throw together but it tastes delicious. This soup is definitely a winner in my books and was the perfect end to a lovely weekend.

Simple Broccoli Soup 

Serves 4


Ingredients

1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 litre vegetable stock
400 g broccoli, roughly chopped
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Fresh cream (optional)

Method
  1. Fry the onion in olive oil in a large pan until soft and translucent.
  2. Add the potato and stock and simmer until potato cubes are tender.
  3. Add the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender but still vibrant green.  Add black pepper and salt to taste.
  4. Blend.
  5. Drizzle soup with cream and serve with crusty bread.