Chunky Mango Kerabu


How are the resolutions coming along so far? I made some life changing decisions with regards with food and exercise in December and so far I’ve managed to keep to it.  I am currently training for a half-marathon so it’s all systems go at the moment.

In an attempt to clean up my diet, salads have become a regular fixture and I’m always thinking of ways to spice up salads and this recipe is exactly what I’m talking about.

Mango Kerabu is a popular salad in Malaysia which will tantalise your tastebuds and excite your senses. Comprising of simple ingredients, this salad is perfect served cold. Think tangy, sweet, refreshing and spicy all combined in one colourful dish. This salad is usually served with rice and other side dishes but I quite enjoy it as a meal on its own.

The vegetables and fruit in an authentic Mango Kerabu is usually grated quite thinly unlike what I’ve done here. I sliced the mango and carrots into thick slices to make it feel like a substantial salad for lunch.
In this instance, I used a mango, carrots, shallots, ginger flower, fresh herbs and a couple birds’ eye chillies. Other times I’ve added cucumbers or slightly unripe papayas. Fresh herbs can range from coriander, mint and basil or mixture of all.

Topped with crunchy peanuts, the freshness of this salad is simply addictive. Don’t wait for the summer to try this delightful salad, do it today!


Chunky Mango Kerabu

Serves 1 as a main meal, or 2-3 as a side dish

Ingredients

Semi ripe mango, sliced thickly or shredded
Large carrot, sliced thickly or shredded
3 shallots, sliced thinly
Birds eye chillies (optional)
Fresh herbs; mint, coriander, basil
Ginger flower, sliced
Crushed peanuts

Dressing
Lime, juiced
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce/ light soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
Dash of pepper

Method

Combine all ingredients for dressing and set aside.
In a bowl, combine all salad ingredients and toss with salad dressing.
Serve immediately. If not, chill salad and seasoning separately until ready to serve.