Mint Chocolate Brownies

Whoever invented the combination of mint and chocolate was an absolute genius!

Mint chocolate ice cream has been my favourite flavour ever since I can remember with pistachio flavoured ice cream coming a close second, and my third favourite flavour has to be green tea..Hmm i sense a pattern here. Or maybe I've got some green ice cream OCD going on?

I digress.

So mint chocolate works well as an ice cream flavour. The question is does it work well when combined with fudgy decadent brownies? Oh yes.

Chocolatey brownies topped with minty frosting topped with a dark chocolate layer - If this sounds like heaven, carry on reading. If not I suggest you adjust your taste buds and try again for you are missing out on some seriously good stuff!

The brownie recipe I used is my all time favourite Browned Butter Brownies one which can be found here.

Once you've got the hard baking bit done, the rest is a literally a piece of cake (or brownie..)


Mint Chocolate Brownies
 
Ingredients

Mint frosting

60g butter, room temperature
250grams icing sugar
3 tablespoon double cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons mint extract
Food colouring 

Chocolate topping
100g dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter

Method

  1. Beat butter, icing sugar, salt and cream until all ingredients are incorporated. Add the mint extract, a few drops at a time, until desired minty-ness is acquired.
  2. To obtain the vibrant minty green, I used a mix of blue and yellow food colouring, again a few drops at a time. I had a brilliant time mixing colours - reminded me a bit of art class in primary school many moons ago!
  3. If the consistency is slightly runny, pop the icing into the fridge for a few minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate and butter using the bain marie technique. Leave to cool for a 5 minutes.
  4. Frost the cooled brownies and top with chocolate topping. Ideally the topping needs to be left for an hour to set but I popped it into the freezer for about 15 minutes and the chocolate harden up fine.
  5. These brownies keep up to a week in the fridge, remaining moist and tasty!