Aubergine, Pepper and Coriander Stir Fry

As I mostly live on a vegetarian diet, I'm always thinking of different ways to make mealtimes interesting whilst incorporating as many lovely vegetables in one dish as possible. Also being a Malaysian, I can't seem to say resist rice, no matter how hard I try (carb alert!!). Furthermore, as I am currently working on my Masters thesis, I'm always looking for recipe ideas that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.

Based on all three requirements, I came up with this recipe. I knew the flavour profiles I wanted to work into my dish - garlic, chilli and ginger. I had a gorgeous aubergine that was calling out to me, so I added that to the mix and while I was at it, why not toss in some peppers and coriander leaves for a refreshing twist.

The sauce was a simple mix of vegetarian oyster sauce, which is easily available in your local Asian grocery store, dark soy sauce and a splash of sesame oil.

For comfort food at its best, top a bowl of freshly cooked rice with the hot and spicy aubergine and tuck in with your favorite pair of chopsticks!

If you prefer a non-vege option, you could add prawns or thinly sliced beef to the dish.




Aubergine, Pepper and Coriander Stir Fry

Serves 2

Ingredients

Aubergine, quartered
Red pepper, sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic, sliced finely
1 chilli , sliced
1/2 inch ginger, sliced
Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Few drops of water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Method
  1. Mix the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and water in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan. Toss in the aubergine strips and fry on a medium heat until it takes on a soft and fleshy texture, usually about 5-6 minutes. If you are using prawns or meat, this would be the right time to add it to the wok.
  3. Add the sliced peppers, garlic, ginger and chilli and continue frying for 2-3 minutes, until the peppers are less crunchy.
  4. Add the sauce mixture to the wok and toss in half the chopped coriander. Make sure the vegetables are properly coated in sauce and remove from heat.
  5. Toss in the remaining coriander and serve with rice.

A simple, healthy, wholesome dish ready within minutes!