Banana Walnut Crumble Muffins



Overripe bananas are always a problem in most households. The common solution is to use these overripe golden bananas to make banana bread or cake. Occasionally the idea of making another banana loaf can seem dull, so what better than to mix bananas, walnuts and crumble to create beautiful muffins with a crunch. Those who say muffins are ugly cupcakes clearly haven’t tried these!

Banana Walnut Crumble Muffins


Muffin Ingredients 
 

190 grams plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

3 ripe/overripe bananas, mashed.

100 grams brown sugar

75g melted butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 egg, beaten

1 cup of chopped walnuts



Crumble Ingredients



3 tbsp plain flour

1 tsp cinnamon

70g brown sugar

1 tbsp butter



Method

  1. Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, ground ginger and cinnamon into a bowl. 
  2. Combine the mashed bananas with sugar, butter, vanilla and egg. Add the chopped walnuts and give the banana batter a quick mix. 
  3. Combine the sieved flour combination with the banana combination and bring together to form a thick batter.
  4. To make the crumble, rub the butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon together with your fingers or alternatively use the end of a wooden spoon to mix until small clumps are formed.
  5. Fill 3/4 of a muffin liners with batter and bake at 180'C for 15 minutes. Take the muffins out and sprinkle the crumble on top of each muffin generously and bake for another 5 minutes.

A funny thing happened whilst I was trying to photograph these muffins in my garden. Rusky, my dog was lurking around, innocently. Well in hindsight, not so innocent. He was pretending to be uninterested in the muffins set on the garden table. I should have known he was up to something! Dogs never resist freshly baked cakes! Next time I knew, he was next to me, paws on the table, gobbling down a muffin. The prettiest of the batch as well!

As I was uploading the pictures onto my laptop, I realised I caught Rusky on camera. I must have accidentally snapped a picture when trying to push him away.